Do I Need To Call The Police After A Car Accident?

Having the police at the accident scene is the only way to obtain a police report. The police report can play a huge and influential role in getting the best settlement possible.

Call the local police or sheriff to the scene right after you’ve been in a car accident. It’s the law if your accident has resulted in bodily injuries or substantial vehicular damage. You’ll find that police and sheriff officers are trained to deal with accident scenes, so they tend to be very helpful. Law officers can do some of the following:

• Provide or call for medical care. Of course, you’re always better off calling 9-11 when someone has been seriously hurt.
• Protect the accident scene
• Investigate and document what caused the accident.

When Should You Call the Police After a Car Accident?

It’s always better to be safe than sorry and call the police after you’ve been in a car accident, no matter how minor it may seem to be! More often than not, the police report will only help your case. Most states require you to call the police to the accident scene if:

• Someone is hurt
• The property damage exceeds the state’s threshold
• You also need to call the police if the other driver is at fault or if you think he or she has broken a traffic law.

Car Accident Police Reports

If people have been hurt, there is substantial vehicular damage, or someone has broken traffic laws, the police will create a police report. It’s important to get the name and badge number of the officer at the accident scene.

Doing so will make it easier for you to get a copy of the police report later.
You should also get the report number whenever possible. It may cost you some money, but insurance companies will use it to help them decide and calculate your final settlement amount. The jury and judge will do the same if your case goes to trial, as per personal injury lawyer in Milton.

You’ll find documentation of physical evidence at the accident scene. That includes, but is not limited to, tire marks and broken windows. The report will also list any traffic citations that the officer issued. The report may sometimes even include the officer’s opinions on who and what caused the accident. You’re more likely to get your claim a settlement, either in or out of court if you have a police report.

Obtaining the Report

The best way to obtain the police report is to call your sheriff’s or police department and ask for it. Make sure you have the number of the report or the details of the accident scene. That’s the only way you’ll get the report. Your lawyer can work to get the reports to submit to the insurance adjuster or the court as the requirement might be.