Do You Need To Report An Accident To Police?

If you become involved in a motor vehicle accident in Ontario, and if certain circumstances are present, then you must report that collision to the police. The method by which the report should be made depends on the consequences of the same collision.

When you should call 911:

Well, someone has been injured, you need to call in the emergency or the police. You will need to call 911 when one of the drivers has violated the criminal code. Most frequently that means that one of the drivers has chosen to take the wheel while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It is also possible that the responsible driver stole an automobile, and then caused the collision while trying to get away from the scene of the crime.

When you should file a report at the local police station:

• One of the vehicles that was involved in the accident can no longer be described as drivable.
• One of the drivers lacks proof of insurance. One of the drivers fails to show possession of a license.
• One of the drivers appears to be intoxicated.

What could happen if you failed to file a report?

If you are a resident of Ontario, and you expect to have any accident-related damage repaired at one of the local car repair shops, you could face some problems. No car repair shop in Ontario can work on a vehicle that lacks a sticker; that sticker shows that the collision was reported to the police.

One thing you should not expect if you have reported an accident to the police

Do not expect the police to contact your insurance company. If you have been involved in a collision between two or move vehicles, you must report that incident to the company from which you purchased your car insurance.

Two other times when a vehicle-involved incident must be reported at a police station.

You should file such a report if you have been the victim of a hit-and-run driver. If you have been severely injured, then you should ask that a 911 call be made, so that you can get medical treatment. That call will guarantee a notification of the proper law enforcement authorities.

If your car, truck, van or SUV gets hit while it is parked, and no one leaves a note, then you or your injury lawyer in Kitchener should notify the police. Naturally, you should also share any information that might be used to locate the guilty driver. Do not overlook the fact that a parked car might get stolen. That would provide the car-lacking driver with yet another reason for contacting a member of the law enforcement community. Something else to keep in mind: Two parked vehicles could be part of the same reported incident. A car-thief might hit another vehicle, while seeking to get away in a hurry.