All insurance companies try to low ball you to accept a lower amount as claim after an accident. Most of the companies try to minimize payments and look for loopholes to destroy your case. This is why it is important to look into the details and having a good personal injury lawyer to cover your interest.
- Inconsistency reporting: All medical reports and examinations are cross-referred at the first session with the insurance company. Anything that is not mentioned in the report is not accepted by the insurance company and is considered suspicious. That is why it is important for the doctor to write down all the complaints and details.
- Psychiatric History and Pre-Accident Medical: The insurance company lawyers look at your medical history much before the accident took place. The psychiatric and physical history is looked into. They check if there is any aspect that they can use to reduce the earning potential. This is usually a point of dispute as clients forget about health aspects in the past. They find key aspects that can pull down the claim amount. Past drug use, alcohol binging depression in teenage years is just a few of the things that can rehash your claim amount.
- Income Reporting: Income discrepancies and inconsistencies are looked into by the insurance companies. Thus, ensure that the T4 is correct when you file for a claim. It is best to honest with the insurance company.
- Discontinuing treatment: There are some people that forget to continue treatment including physiotherapy which can be used by the insurance company. That shows that you weren’t that injured and this in turn can affect the claim amount. Thus, if your doctor has prescribed it, you better stick with the treatment.
Importance of First Responder’s Report
When you are in an accident, you are not thinking about calling a lawyer or filing a claim, you just need to be treated for shock and anxiety apart from other physical injuries. However, any of the information put down by the ambulance or first responders is used in the claim. Thus, if you forget to mention some key aspects of the injuries and it has not been noted down in the report, the insurance company is going to play upon it to reduce your compensation amount. They are of the view that if you didn’t mention it at that time, it isn’t probably that bad. You cannot control what the first responders write but share as much as you can. Additionally, it is good to go to a doctor even if you don’t go to the hospital right after the accident. Make sure the doctor writes everything as your claim will require it.
- Surveillance as a tool: If you say you cannot do it due to the pain, don’t do it. You don’t want to show up on the surveillance video doing the things you said were out of bounds due to the pain. You might be just trying to do it before retreating due to the pain, but if you are caught on video, the damage is forever.